Revised 1 January 2023
Note: Since moderator Joe Mackey announced his diagnosis with stage 4
lung cancer before Thanksgiving (I have not heard from him since then),
yours truly, Daryl Stout, has taken over as interim moderator...with
the possibility of becoming such if Joe can no longer do the job, or
upon his passing. Sadly, I doubt any family has escaped the scourge
of cancer...our thoughts and prayers to Joe. DS
FidoNet is a "Virtual Community" where we are all representative of
the population. Each ECHO is like a neighborhood of the virtual
community. The MEMORIES echo is _our_ neighborhood. Let's keep it a
nice place to hang out.
This is the Memories Echo. It is a non region specific conference
dedicated to all persons interested in nostalgia and trivia, with some
related chatter on subjects of interest to seniors. It's a bit like the
pot bellied stove in the old general store. Conversations usually start
with reminiscing of something from the past, but seem to lead in many directions, which the Moderator generally tolerates so long as it's
civilized conversation, and doesn't violate any of the specific rules
It's a group of fun to be around folks. Come on in.
The Moderator may appoint a successor, or call an election any time by posting an announcement in the echo. Such announcement shall define the
rules of, time frame for, and the names of those responsible for
monitoring and publishing the results of the election. In the event of
the death or incapacity of the Moderator, the Co Moderator shall have
all the rights ascribed to the Moderator.
This is a FidoNet Backbone Echo, and, as such, adheres to FidoNet
regulations for echoes.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
This echo is dedicated to the loving MEMORIES of:
Ronni Toth, its founder, and Kent Anderson, her successor moderator, and
to Bill White, who left us for personal reasons.
May we keep the high standards they set for us.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
This echo is open to everyone who complies with the following rules:
1. Topics may be broad, but not stray too far from the purpose of the
echo and that is to share germane conversation with those having a
common interest in things past. Excessive chatter, if not related to
times past, will be considered off topic.
2. DON'T get personal! Personal attacks (flames) and profanity are
unnecessary and unwelcome in this echo. And keep it clean -- this is
a family echo. Risque remarks and off color taglines will cause a
3. Present day religion and politics, NO!
4. Only the Moderator will address off topic traffic. If a fellow
participant tries to moderate you, just ignore them. If someone
insults you, do not respond in kind: nothing hurts more than being
ignored. If necessary, send e mail to a moderator.
5. NO private messages.
6. Handles or aliases allowed in part of your BBSing with the addition
of your real name at the end of the message.
7. No test messages, nor advertisements of any kind (including BBS ads)
8. This conference may not be ported to any other network's mail system
without the express written permission of the Moderator. Porting or
gating the echo into the Internet or to any Usenet newsgroup is expressly forbidden. Note: The carrying of the echoes by an Internet site is all
right, provided that any messages originating from that site, if not
within this conference's rules, are subject to corrective action by the Moderator.
9. Overquoting: Remember to delete those parts of the message that don't
relate to your reply. Leave just enough so that others can pick up on
what's going on, or refresh their memories if they read the original post. NEVER, EVER requote signature, origin lines, addresses, nor taglines
unless they are pertinent to what you're saying.
10. Underquoting: It is most distressing to see part of a message and a response, and have no idea as to what either of the messages relates. Do
your quoting intelligently, and leave enough info to be certain that even
a disinterested party will know what's going on. This faux pas is often
related to, and could be mitigated by following:
11. Subject not related to the topic of the message. All too often a
message that started on a particular subject takes another tack. Unless
the poster replying changes the subject, the message bears no relation to
its indicated topic. Please try to remember when replying to see that the subject matter and the subject are in agreement.
12. These guides are subject to change at any time. If you find a way to
be annoying, we will make a rule to cover it.
13. These rules condense into five words: "Be Nice And Have Fun"
Little Rock, AR
--- SBBSecho 3.15-Win32
* Origin: The Thunderbolt BBS - Little Rock, Arkansas (1:2320/33)