FidoGazette Article Submission Guidelines
Updated 20 March 2022 ======================================================================
The FidoGazette, founded in September 2007, is an alternative
newsletter of the Fidonet BBS mail network for both its sysops and
users. It is distributed electronically via Fidonet, the World Wide
Web, and FTP. The FidoGazette welcomes articles, editorials, and
features of interest to the Fidonet community.
To have your article included in FidoGazette, simply send it to me
- Netmail: 1:18/200 (no file attachments unless you are crashing my
BBS directly via BinkP)
- Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
(please use "FidoGazette Submission"
as the title for any message)
- FTP : anonymous FTP to bbs.outpostbbs.net in /incoming (please
send me a message to let me know either in the
FIDOGAZETTE echo or via netmail/email)
To help me make it easier to format your article for FidoGazette:
1. Use standard ASCII text. Most word processor formats can't be used
by the FidoGazette software. In addition, the FidoGazette software
won't accept most ASCII control characters nor any characters above
ASCII 127 (this, unfortunately, includes all those neat box drawing characters). The text must not have any encoding of any kind.
2. Start your lines at the left of your screen when typing. The
software puts in a left margin automatically and I have to manually
remove any left margin appearing in your document.
3. Keep your line length to under 70 columns for tables or charts (or
if you include an ASCII illustration). Regular paragraphs exceeding
this 70 column limit can be reformatted during the editing process but
tables and charts are normally distorted beyond recognition by a
4. Separate paragraphs with a blank line. This is how my text editor recognizes paragraph endings so I have to add blank lines manually if
5. Title your article as you'd like to see it in the Table of
Contents. If you don't, I'll make up a title for you, but I'd rather
have the article appear as you wish. Please do the following at the
top of your article:
*Name Of Your Article
Name Of Your Article
Your Name (Node Number)
The starred line will appear in the Table Of Contents. The lines
after that will appear on your actual article.
6. Include your name and node number (or email address) under the
title. I'll grab it from your message if necessary but again I'd
rather have the article appear as you wish.
7. Check your own spelling and wording. Though I feel free to
reformat your article so it conforms to technical requirements, I
generally leave the wording (and spelling) alone as I don't want to
distort what you have to say.
8. Send your article before Sunday in order to see it in that
Monday's edition. I normally check email, netmail, and the FTP
directory before I finalize the edition and send it out Sunday
evening. So if I get your article before Sunday evening, I'll include
it but send it by Saturday 10 PM Eastern (UTC -4/-5 DST) to be safe.
9. If you're not sure whether you should write or send in your
article, I would encourage you to send it anyway. Chances are, if you
write of something of interest to yourself, it'll be of interest to
others. Besides, The FidoGazette is a better publication when it's
written by a variety of people. We're all in this together and
remember, knowledge is power!
-- Sean Dennis (1:18/200), FidoGazette Editor
Thanks to (and in fond memory of) Douglas C. Myers for the bulk of the
--- Squish/386 v1.11
* Origin: Outpost BBS * bbs.outpostbbs.net:10123 (1:18/200)